Financial Freedom takes on several different forms and for today’s guests, Matt and Alli Owen, it means taking a mini-retirement and traveling the US in their red Sprinter Van, Clifford. Burnt out and struggling with depression and anxiety from living the traditional 9 to 5 lifestyle, the Owens decided to walk away from their 6-figure jobs and live life on their own terms.
After saving 70% of their income over the course of 4 years, Matt and Alli were able to create the lifestyle that they truly enjoy. Today, Matt and Alli share their experiences on their journey to FI on Owen Your Future, their finance and personal development blog.
In this episode we discuss:
- Life before the van life
- Matt and Alli’s careers
- Walking away from 6 figure incomes
- How living the 9-5 life left them feeling stuck and led to anxiety and depression
- How the Owens prepared financially
- How they saved 70% of income over 4 years
- Finding the courage to make such a big life change
- Why they chose Sprinter Van over a Camper or Tiny House or RV and the cost to buy the van and fix it up
- Resources for people that may want to fix a van to live a similar lifestyle
- Their monthly expenses
- The Owens’ future lifestyle plans
- Valuing experience over things
At the end of the podcast, I also talk about the waitlist to the soft launch of my monthly membership program. Get monthly tips, tools, and classes to help you launch to Financial Freedom. Click here to sign up and be the first to be notified when the doors open in Summer/Fall 2018.I'm listening to Episode 62 of the #journeytolaunch podcast, How @owenyourfuture Left Their Jobs Behind To Travel the USA in a Van Click To Tweet Freedom comes when you align your values with your finances. @owenyourfuture Click To Tweet Find your version of success and what makes you happy. @owenyourfuture Click To Tweet The expectations that other people have for you is not your responsibility. @owenyourfuture Click To Tweet
Also, Journey To Launch was nominated at the 9th Annual Plutus Awards for Podcast of the Year & the Community Builder Award!
Other related blog posts/links mentioned in this episode:
- The Owen’s YouTube Channel
- Van Tour: Two Engineers build a Pinterest Inspired Custom Sprinter Van in 6 Weeks
- 3 Step Process to Financially Preparing for Van Life
- Get the Owen’s 10 Minute Money Checklist
- Join The Weekly Newsletter List
- Leave me a voicemail– Leave me a question on the Journey To Launch voicemail and have it answered on the podcast!
- Watch me on News12 Watch my latest segments on News12
- My One on One Money Coaching Services – Get my personalized 1on1 money coaching expertise to help you reach your financial goals
- YNAB – Start managing your money and budgeting so that you can reach your financial dreams. Sign up for a free 2 month trial of YNAB, my go-to budgeting app by using my referral link.
Connect with The Owens:
Connect with me: