As parents, the financial example that we set for our children can have a profound impact on their financial future into adulthood. Cody is the personal finance blogger behind Fly to FI and he is going against the grain and making his way towards Financial Independence as a young adult. Growing up, Cody’s parents taught him to live a lifestyle of frugality and to value saving which gave him a great head start for the future.
As a high school student, Cody quickly grew to understand the value of education. He became one of the top students in his High School graduating class and he even earned college credits. He then went on to college and he pursued a degree in finance. Upon discovering The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris, Cody’s dreams to spend his life working a fast-paced finance career that would require working long hours began to change. Today, Cody is the proud owner of a disc golf company and he shares all of his financial beliefs and ideas on his blog, Fly to FI. As a young entrepreneur and blogger, Cody has made it his mission is to improve financial literacy and change the world for the better.
In this episode we discuss:
- The things that Cody’s parents did to give him a head start
- What Cody did in high school to put himself ahead in your college classes and not needing college loans.
- Cody’s full-time work and current side hustles
- His current saving/investing strategy
- Using side hustles and real estate as a means to fund your lifestyle and work your way to your FI goal.
- Why Cody made that decision to forgo working and leave the workforce early to in the near term
- What gave him this confidence and know how to even attempt achieving FI
- Cody’s advice for parents who want to instill these lessons for their kids
At the end of the podcast, I also talk about the waitlist to the soft launch of my monthly membership program. Get monthly tips, tools, and classes to help you launch to Financial Freedom. Click here to sign up and be the first to be notified when the doors open in Summer/Fall 2018.I'm listening to Episode 60 of the #journeytolaunch podcast, How 22-Year-Old @flytofi is Making His Way Towards Financial Independence Click To Tweet You don't have to trade your time for money in a linear relationship -@flytofi Click To Tweet Even if I fail miserably fail at every venture I try, I'll be 10x more equipped to take on the next venture because every failure adds an incremental skill -@flytofi Click To Tweet It's about living a lifestyle where you are your own boss because it gives you so much flexibility -@flytofi Click To Tweet
Other related blog posts/links mentioned in this episode:
- Cody’s golf company
- Check out Cody’s podcast Fire Below Zero
- Join The Weekly Newsletter List
- Leave me a voicemail– Leave me a question on the Journey To Launch voicemail and have it answered on the podcast!
- Watch me on News12 Watch my latest segments on News12
- My One on One Money Coaching Services – Get my personalized 1on1 money coaching expertise to help you reach your financial goals
- YNAB – Start managing your money and budgeting so that you can reach your financial dreams. Sign up for a free 2 month trial of YNAB, my go-to budgeting app by using my referral link.
Connect with Cody:
Connect with me: