Sylvia accrued six-figures of debt from law school and her life was greatly impacted by Hurricane Katrina while living in Louisiana. With discipline, determination, and the help of financial books such as Your Money or Your Life, Sylvia made the decision to take control of her personal finances. She took on a side-gig as a pizza delivery driver to bring in an extra $2,000 a month and adopted a frugal lifestyle to aggressively tackle her debt. Today, Sylvia has paid down a majority of her student loan debt, owns her own law firm, and is about 3 years away from Financial Independence.
In this episode we discuss:
- Sylvia’s story of how she accrued six-figures in debt
- How she used a side-gig and a plan to pay off her student loans
- How she managed her finances and saved without an actual budget
- Why she continued to invest with a significant amount of debt
- Her big move to Seattle
- Her plans after retirement
- Her current investments
- The difference between a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) and actual real estate investment
- How her family has affected her decisions on the journey to financial independence
At the end of the podcast, I also talk about the waitlist to the soft launch of my monthly membership program. Get monthly tips, tools, and classes to help you launch to Financial Freedom. Click here to sign up and be the first to be notified when the doors open in Summer/Fall 2018.I'm listening to Episode 47 of the #journeytolaunch podcast, Sylvia's Journey To Paying Off 6 Figures of Law School Debt & Becoming Financially Independent w/ Sylvia Hall Click To Tweet Sylvia Hall became debt free by working as a lawyer by day and working at Dominos as a delivery driver by night. Click To Tweet You should have fun and enjoy money but it should be in moderation. Click To Tweet Becoming debt free and financially independent takes determining whether or not you want to apply your skills to your extra time to make extra money. Click To Tweet
Other related blog posts/links mentioned in this episode:
- Bigger Pockets
- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez
- My interview with Vicki Robin, the co-author of Your Money or Your Life
- Automatic Millionaire by David Bach
- The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke by Suze Orman
- Join The Weekly Newsletter List
- Leave me a voicemail– Leave me a question on the Journey To Launch voicemail and have it answered on the podcast!
- Watch me on News12 Watch my latest segments on News12
- My One on One Money Coaching Services – Get my personalized 1on1 money coaching expertise to help you reach your financial goals
- YNAB – Start managing your money and budgeting so that you can reach your financial dreams. Sign up for a free 2 month trial of YNAB, my go-to budgeting app by using my referral link.
Connect with me: