Listen & Subscribe: on iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Soundcloud, Android Device
Shane Mason, CPA/PFS, CPF, is an accountant, financial planner, and all-around tax wizard that joins the show this week to discuss the one topic that has many Americans baffled: taxes.
He specializes in accounting, tax preparation and financial planning services for small and medium business owners, creatives, tech professionals, expatriates and foreign nationals living in the US.
Shane and I crossed paths during my search for the assistance of a new tax professional and I am delighted to have his expertise on the show to unravel tax law and what it means for everyone on the journey to Financial Independence.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Why we have to pay taxes
- Why you should consider hiring a tax professional
- How tax refunds work
- Why a large tax refund isn’t necessarily a great thing
- Common mistakes made when filing taxes
- Amending a tax return
- Determining the right investment account for your income
- Factors to consider when determining where to invest first
- The new tax law changes and how they affect you
At the end of the podcast, I also talk about the waitlist to the soft launch of my monthly membership program. Get monthly tips, tools, and classes to help you launch to Financial Freedom. Click here to sign up and be the first to be notified when the doors open in Summer/Fall 2018.
(YNAB, my favorite budgeting app is giving Journeyers a 2-month free trial, no credit card required to try their amazing budgeting system, check it out here!)I'm listening to Episode 38 of the #journeytolaunch podcast, How To Optimize Your Taxes & Make The System Work For You W/ Shane Mason Click To Tweet Taxes are as old as civilization has been around. Click To Tweet If you’re not a DIYer, it’s a good idea to have a tax professional help. Click To Tweet Doing it right the first time saves you money in the long run. -Shane Mason, CPA/PFS, CPF Click To Tweet Always consider the tax angle and flexibility with investment accounts. Click To Tweet Generally, for people that retire early, the 401K is the better option. -Shane Mason, CPA/PFS, CPF Click To Tweet
Other related blog posts/links mentioned in this episode:
- 3 Questions To Ask Before Spending Your Tax Refund
- Why You Shouldn’t Want A Tax Refund
- IRS Withholding Calculator
- Sign up for Credit Sesame using my affiliate link and get your free credit report and other resources to help you monitor and improve your credit
- How We Saved $169,000 in 2 Years With the Help of This Budgeting System
- Join The Weekly Newsletter List
- Leave me a voicemail– Leave me a question on the Journey To Launch voicemail and have it answered on the podcast!
- Watch me on News12 Watch my latest segments on News12
- My One on One Money Coaching Services – Get my personalized 1on1 money coaching expertise to help you reach your financial goals
- YNAB – Start managing your money and budgeting so that you can reach your financial dreams. Sign up for a free 2 month trial of YNAB, my go-to budgeting app by using my referral link.
Connect with Shane on:
Connect with me:
- Journey To Launch Instagram
- Journey To Launch Twitter
- Journey To Launch Facebook Page
- Join the private Facebook Group